October 26, 2014

Cancer SUCKS!

October 3rd, 2014 at 2:45 p.m. my friend answers my text 
"I'm sorry to say it isn't good."
She was still at the doctors office getting the results 
from various scans she had the day before.

Bottom line, her cancer had returned.

It's name is Metastatic Breast Cancer and it SUCKS!




Elizabeth Johnston is my friend, my employee, and the most fun spirit that has ever crossed my path.  We are sisters in so many ways, none of which include having the same parents.  We think alike, we are both breast cancer survivors, our husbands are geeks, the tools in the house belong to us, and, best of all, we share the love of everything fabric & sewing & yarn & wool...

Because she is a breast cancer survivor, this cancer will also be known as breast cancer - although it is not in her breast(s).  
Metastatic breast cancer can be in the bones, liver and/or brain.
For Elizabeth, it has chosen her bones and her liver.

She started radiation for the bone "mets" that is on her spine - it was causing her extreme pain.  She also has a bone "mets" at the base of her skull.
This round of radiation will end on November 3rd.
The next order of business is to attack the cancer in her liver.  This will start with MAJOR (is there minor?) chemo on November 10th.

Please understand that all of this information is 2nd, or 3rd hand and I might not have all of the "lingo" exactly correct.  
My goal is to share her story with you, for her, so that she can focus all her energy on her fight.

She wants to be at Crafty Threads as much as she can 
- it is her happy place!
   
But... she doesn't have the strength to answer questions, listen to anecdotes, hear about herbal remedies, or how acupuncture helped a friend of a friend.

She really likes her doctors and she and her husband, Keith, are comfortable with the proposed course of treatment.  

Well wishes, prayers, strength, and hope, are the things she longs for and needs the most.

And laughter - there can NEVER be too much laughter!

I have set up a fundraising website to help with her medical expenses here:
Warriors for Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. My love and prayers for my dear sweet friend Elizabeth. I have tears, even though I know all of this...it just sucks. The good news is I have gotten to know Chewie, Elizabeth's little Yorkie and finally met her sister, Mary. Looking forward to the beauty that is Elizabeth in the shop!!!

    And thanks for the blog posts. It is a great way to get information out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear this. I wish Elizabeth all the strength she needs to fight this.

    ~~Marilynn Ory

    ReplyDelete